I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Monday 30 July 2012

Some Useful Machines

I was in the shed with the camera and it occured to me that some one might be interested in the wood working machines I use so I took some photos.

This is my new bandsaw, well new to me anyway (it was made about 20 years ago). It replaces my old bandsaw which was underpowered and would not cut timber more tha 25 mm thick. I haven't been able to stop this one yet! In the photo it had just arrived and I was setting it up and making a wheeled base for it prior to moving it into a space at teh back of the shed.


Boatbuilding needs timber that is finished to unusual sizes and often in long lengths. These can be ordered from a timber merchant (expensive and involves delays) or cut from larger planks as needed. I use the Triton workbench to rip the lengths about 3 mm oversize. The longer and sometimes heavy planks are supported on roller stands as the go over the saw bench. The planer in the background is moved to one side and the sawn timber is supported by pieces of pipe on the workbench. When the sawing is done the planer is moved to the saw bench and the sawn timber is run through it supported by the rollwer stands and workbench. This system seems to work well enough and saves money and time.


This is another "new" acquisition. It keep the shavings from the planer under control and helps with the floor cleaning - the floor is often covered in sawdust and shavings which is OK but if you drop something small it can be lost forever.


Last photo shows my Tormek grinder. This has greatly reduced the time I spend sharpening plane blades, chisels and knives. It is a magic piece of equipment. Previously I used oilstones and Japanese water stones but it took a long time to restore a edge that had been damaged by a nail or similar. I still use the water stones (kept in the bucket in the sink) to put the final edge on.





No comments: