I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Monday 30 July 2012

More on the Stems

I shaped the inner stem using the template mentioned in the previous post. When it was done I used the inner stem to laminate the outer stem. The outer stem laminations were 5.5 mm thick and would not bend around the curve of the inner stem. I put them to soak in cold water for about 3 hours and this made them pliable enough to take the curve. Here they are clamped to the inner stem sitting in the sunshine to aid the drying out process.


After several days to allow the laminations to dry out they were glued together with epoxy. Both sides of each of the 12 laminations (only one side of the outermost laminations) were coated with unthicked epoxy as a primer and then one side of each was coated with thickened epoxy to fill any voids in the joints. All 12 pieces are put together and clamped around the inner stem. There is plastic sheet to prevent the two stems sticking to each other. Here's a photo taken with clamps in place and after I had removed my rubber gloves and cleaned up a bit.


This next photo shows the two stems separated. Inner stem in front and outer behind with temporary braces to minimise springback.


Here is the inner stem in place in the building frame. There will be considerable sideways force on the inner stem as the planks are pulled into place hence the bracing. The white sheet sticking up between the back of the stem and the mould is plastic to keep the glue under control when the keelson is glued in place. The photo on the cupboard door provides inspiration as I work away at this long project, it shows John Sharpe's Able sailing (more photos of his boat at links on right).




No comments: