I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Wednesday 4 July 2012

The Building Frame

I had a building frame left over from my Acorn 15 build but for the Able it needed to be wider and longer. I replaced the crossmembers with some longer ones and added a box shaped section on one end to increase the length. When this was done I positioned the frame in the shed and marked the position of the legs on the floor with chalk. Then I carefully levelled the top of the frame by putting wedges under the legs. Once leveled I drew a line around each leg the same distance from the floor, tipped the whole frame on its side and cut off the legs to the line. I put a good sized dollop of thickened epoxy on the floor where each leg would land and then tipped the frame back onto its legs. When the epoxy sets the top of the frame will be levelled with a plane. Here's a photo of the result (the temporary braces on the legs will be removed when the glue sets).

No comments: