I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Saturday 19 April 2014

The Jib Halyard

My jib is hoisted with a halyard that is tied off to the pin rail at the base of the mast. I had difficulty putting enough tension on the halyard and the luff of the sail bowed out. I tried using a truckies hitch to pull down harder on the halyard; this helped a bit but there was too much friction around the pinrail and where the rope crossed itself. Finally I did this:


Now I can get enough tension on the jib. It still bows out a little but I am satisfied with the result. In the photo I have tied it off on two pins to make the setup clearer; in actual use both black and yellow lines would be tied off on the outer pin.

As an aside; when running downwind, with the boom out as far as possible, the boom hits the halyards which is not a good thing, My partial solution to this is to use the outside pins for the halyards that have the most tension and the inner pins for the lightly loaded tail of the lazy jacks.


From left to right, the peak and throat halyards, two spare pins, tail of lazy jacks/topping lift and the jib halyard.

No comments: