I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Saturday 8 March 2014

Sails Have Arrived

I picked up my sails from the sail maker and spent the rest of the day putting them on the boat.

 
I think it looks pretty good but there are still a few things to finish and one problem to sort out. Sadly the finishing and sorting involves tools and, worse still, glue and paint that need time to dry so I can't go sailing for a few days. However, the end is in sight!
 
Here are a couple more photos showing some of the detail around the mizzen.
 

The attachment for the tack of the sail is simple and works quite well, thanks Paul for the suggestion. The blue line has a loop and toggle above the boom to hold the tack of the sail and below the boom there is a thimble and the tail of the line is laced to provide a downhaul.

 
Next photo shows the fore sail in position. Unfortunately the combined length of the luff, furler at the tack and swivel at the head is a few millimetres more than the distance between the block at the top and attachment point at the bottom. Some adjustment(s) need to be made and, at the moment, I'm not sure what is involved. The sail is fine and the sheet goes to the point on the gunwale where I planned to put the sheet lead blocks.

No comments: