I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Monday 15 July 2013

Gunwale Capping Strip

The plans show a 45 x 12 mm capping strip along the gunwales and suggest that this could be laminated over plastic then removed, shaped and finally glued in place. The capping strip has to be laminated because a single piece would not take the required bend without steaming. Whether the capping is laminated or steamed I still can't see how to clamp it along the sheer until the glue sets or the steamed timber dries and cools. It has to be held vertically down along the sheer and horizontally along the curve of the boat.

I'm thinking that I will laminate the capping strip from 3 pieces and that I will glue the centre strip in place first. Once this is done the other 2 pieces can be clamped either side of the first piece. To hold the first piece in place will need a lot of plywood clamps and wedges. To position the strip centrally along the sheer I will try clamps like this.

The U shaped clamp has a step on the inside that will position the strip centrally along the sheer. The clamp is held in place by a wedge on the outside. This will fold the strip in the correct horizontal position.



To hold the strip down another U shaped clamp with one leg longer than the other will hook under the outer gunwale and pull the strip down with another wedge. Fixing this first strip will start from the transom where the curves are less pronounced and proceed forwards adding clamps as required  to position and hold the strip in place.


If anyone reading this has an alternative suggestion to laminating this capping strip please let me know - email via the link at the top of this page.

Here's a photo of most of the inside of the boat. All the seat tops are glued in and the concrete pavers are holding the last piece of decking while the glue sets.  Just about all the internal fillets are done and a final sanding is needed before I start to paint the inside. Today I shaped the pieces that cover the top of the centreboard case; the lifting wire can be seen coming through a hole in the cover. I will make a split piece to cover this hole and house the turning block for the wire which will run forwards to a tackle to raise and lower the centreboard.


No comments: