I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Friday 12 April 2013

Foredeck Beams and Bowsprit

I have been cleaning up the beams that support the foredeck and gluing them in place. As this progresses it becomes harder to do anything in the space below the beams. I put epoxy fillets along all the plank seams and added the gussets to support the base of the samson post before fixing the beams. Here is a photo


There are still two fore and aft beams to add where the notches can be seen.

While working on these beams I have been thinking about the bowsprit. Today I made one up according to the plans, here it is.




I'm not sure that I like the way it is attached although I think it will work OK. An alternative approach would be to cut off the top of the stem and fit a longer bowsprit through a fixture on the stem head with the aft end of the bowsprit held in a block on the foredeck. Taking the bowsprit back as far as the samson post would need the samson post to be higher and this would look really strange. I will leave the bowsprit shown above in place and keep thinking about it.

No comments: