I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Thursday 20 December 2012

First Coat of Paint

It doesn't feel like 6 weeks since the last entry on this blog but the calendar doesn't lie. I have actually been sailing for half that time; two weeks in the Great Sandy Strait, two 2 day outings with the WBAQ guys at Caloundra and a day out at Wivenhoe. Another week spent catching up on chores at home. That leaves two weeks spent working on the boat.

I haven't put anything on the blog because sanding and filling is such a tedious process and is not very photogenic! However today I gave the whole outside of the hull two coats of epoxy to seal it. I started early in an attempt to avoid the worst of the heat and that helped but the epoxy was going off pretty quickly so I had to mix quite small batches. I used Boat Craft Pacific epoxy with the standard hardener mixed 2:1 with no thinners. This is sticky stuff to paint on, it is more a case of spreading it out thinly! The first coat took about 4 hours followed by a short break for a snack by which time ir was ready for the second coat, just slightly tacky to the touch. The second coat went on more easily because the epoxy flowed a bit better over the first coat. Another 3.5 hours and it was done.

No comments: