I'm building a boat to a design by Paul Fisher of Selway Fisher Design in the UK. The design is called "Able" and her vital statistics are: overall length 4.88m (16ft), beam 2m (6ft 6in) and design weight is 360kg (790lbs). You can read more about this design at http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#KANE.

I intend to procede more slowly with this boat than I did with either of my other boat building projects (see links below on the right). This is, after all, a hobby and there are other things to do. So, updates to this blog might happen once every week or two. Come back and see.

If you would like to contact me please Click to Send me Email

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Turning Over Ceremony

Today was the big day! My Able is now the right way up. I rounded up 8 volunteers from the Queensland Wooden Boat Association plus my daughter and son in law. Thanks to all of you for making the effort to come and help. I hardly needed to take part and also had a photographer. Here is how it went.

Still in the shed with wheels fitted to corners of frame. Ready to go.

 
Out on the grass, wheels on the low side have been removed and added to the top of the frame on the high side. The frame is propped up while the other pair of wheels are removed.

 
Starting the lift towards the vertical.

 
Almost up to the halfway point.

 
Halfway point.

 
On the way down. Gently lowered onto the wheels.

 
Back on the wheels on one side.
 
 
Tipped up with frame on saw horses while the second pair of wheels were added. After the boat had rolled over through 180 degrees it was displaced sideways by almost 4 metres. This photo was taken after we lifted the whole thing up and moved it sideways to line up roughly with the space in the shed.

 
Back in the shed. Thanks again to the volunteers who made it so easy.

 
 

 

No comments: